Monday 25 August 2014

Prelude

I had always wished that I could somehow document the going-ons in my daily life. Banal little adolescent things. The presents your friends give you for your birthday, the lunchtime chats about your peers, the feeling you get after completing a test, etc.. A scrapbook was actually the perfect option, but I was always too lazy to cut and paste and design and craft. 
A year ago, my English teacher asked that everyone in her class open a blog. They could write about whatever they wanted, and she would give them extra marks. I decided to do what I was good at. Using my debating skills, I would write critiques about politics and society. I love it - judging people. That's what I did, and that's how I got marks. It was so much fun that it made wish that there was something more to post about - something apart from my 2000-word political grievances. I observed certain happenings at school; little things that made an impact. The impromptu dances at lunch, the gossip, the chats; they were all prominent, they were all inspiring. I realized that I could finally make my wish of a low-effort scrapbook come true. Using technology, I could snap a photo, scribble up a paragraph and post it in an instant; preserving the moment and the memory.Once upon a time, I opened a website here on Weebly. It was the first site/blog I had ever opened. It was for a class project about feminism. A boy in my class had used Weebly in his project and I liked his idea, so I copied him. If you feel so inclined as to check out this grade 6 endeavour of mine, you can do so at this URL: http://nat-feminism.weebly.comWhen I started high school in grade 8, I was put in a gifted program. As part of this program, I was asked to discover a passion of mine and uniquely document my progress in this passion. I had no idea what my passion was (I hadn't uncovered debate yet) so I decided to open another site as part of the documentation process. My so-called passion was photography. Don't get me wrong, I like photography. I wouldn't be opening a blog that is based in part on photography if I didn't like it; it's just not my passion. So my site, which was dedicated to reviewing the arts, has suffered of lack of posting. Literally, I haven't done anything to it in two years. But of course, you are welcome to check it out here: http://reviewthearts.weebly.comI opened a blog or two afterwards. One was meant to be for cooking, the other for mentoring people in debate, but those two never got the love and attention that they deserved, and were thus never published. Then came my labour of love; the blog which started as a way to earn marks, but quickly developed into a passionate affair. I opened it on blogspot, at the request of my teacher. (Weebly's templates are a lot nicer, though) My political soapbox, my social judgement temple, my critical blog! I post a lot on it. Anything that I observe that inspires me, that annoys me; it's all on my blog. I've complained about everything and everyone on that blog. I've even discovered my passion - you guessed it, complaining. I would love for you to check out this blog, which is my main love in life. The posts are long, but informative. The URL is http://natsuhill.blogspot.comObviously, this blog is going to take a backseat to my critical one. The critical one is, and always will be, my baby. I want to have a virtual scrapbook, where I can turn when the years go by and laugh. I'm opening this one to make memories for myself and my friends, to share some shared moments with people who are close to me. I am going to enjoy my senior years in high school and I am going to document every bit of them. I'll try and post here at least on a weekly basis; at least, that's what I intend to do. I hope you enjoy reading and looking at my artsy endeavour of pictures and paragraphs!

No comments:

Post a Comment